***** Illegal Curve is no longer posting at this address. Visit us at our new location http://www.illegalcurve.com
*****

Monday, June 16, 2008

Wes Walz asked about interest in coaching

From Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

Walz, the former Wild center who retired from the National Hockey League as a player in December, has been asked if he's interested in becoming an assistant coach with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The conversation took place three weeks ago and is expected to continue this week if the Lightning's ownership change is approved, as expected, Wednesday by the Board of Governors.

After Hollywood producer Oren Koules and former NHLer Len Barrie get the keys to the Lightning, former Los Angeles Kings coach and current ESPN analyst Barry Melrose is expected to be announced as head coach.

"I was asked if I'd be interested in a position if it's available, and my answer was, 'I would be,'" Walz, 38, confirmed Sunday. "Obviously I can't officially sign a contract until after June 18, but if it makes sense financially and the term is right, I'm very interested.

Read the entire article here.

Walz was a hard-working checking center, so I guess the Lightning believe he'd be a solid hard-working assistant coach.

Ballhype: hype it up!

No comments: