Here are the morning papers for the Eastern Conference non-playoff teams:
Note: I am not going to list the teams that do not have articles written about them anymore.
- “You kind of have a sick feeling,” said Sabres coach Lindy Ruff about being on the outside looking in at playoff time.
- The News Observer documents the man-games lost for the Hurricanes this non-playoff season. Even with all the injuries, coach Peter Laviolette will not use them as an excuse. Meanwhile, Frank Kaberle is sitting out the World Championships with a shoulder injury.
- Jacques Martin and Olli Jokinen are sharing the burden of missing the playoffs, writes George Richards.
- In Toronto, Anton Stralman has been added to Team Sweden's entry for the World Championships. Any talk of Mats Sundin taking all summer to make up his mind on whether he's returning appears to have been false.
- Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is happy Ilya Kovalchuk spoke up and asked for change.
Here are the morning papers for the Western Conference non-playoff teams:
- R.B. Fallstorm gives his candid opinion on the Blues' disappointing season. Paul Kariya is going to focus on adding muscle to his frame his off-season. With the season completed, A couple of Blues are going under the knife.
- The Blackhawks will be looking to add a few more pieces for next season, says GM Dale Tallon.
- Oilers GM Kevin Lowe does not seem worried about signing his RFAs and is already looking forward to next season. John MacKinnon of the Edmonton Journal sees good times ahead for the Oilers franchise. Meanwhile, Steve Staios has answered the call to play for his country at the World Championships.
- Rich Hammond of the L.A. Daily News provides readers with Kings GM Dean Lombardi's take on the future.
- The Coyotes finished exit interviews yesterday and are off for the summer, writes Jim Gintonio.
- Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province provides readers with ten reasons why the Cancuks did not make the playoffs. Tony Gallagher of the Province says some of the Canucks lack of goal scoring needs to land at the feet of coach Alain Vigneault.
For Illegal Curve, I'm Richard Pollock.
Email any thoughts, ideas or suggestions to email@example.com