Here are the morning papers for the teams that did not qualify for the playoffs this season:
- The Sabres will get their chance to turn it around over the next little while, writes Bucky Gleason. That chance to turn it around, may see Maxim Afinogenov traded out of town. The Sabres front office admitted that it made some mistakes in the past but also acknowledges the positives around the organization as well.
- There is still no word on whether Peter Laviolette will return to coach the Hurricanes next season, writes Luke Decock.
- Blue Jackets head coach Ken Hitchcock does not like missing out on the action of the second season, writes Michael Arace of the Columbus Dispatch.
- As of this morning, Jacques Martin is no longer the coach of the Florida Panthers. However, it does appear that Martin will remain on with the team as its GM. David J. Neal, for one, thinks that firing Martin was a good idea.
- Kyle Turris was ecstatic to be able to get into real NHL game action before the season ended, writes Jim Gintonio. In other Coyotes news, all-around tough guy Daniel Carcillo will try and cut down his penalty minutes next season.
For Illegal Curve, I'm Richard Pollock.
Email any thoughts, ideas or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org