Here are the morning papers for the teams that did not qualify for the playoffs:
- Bill Tiller of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution wonders if Thrashers ownership could learn a thing or two from the Canucks.
- The Hurricanes have signed both Stefan Chaput and Nick Dodge to entry-level contracts.
- Jacques Martin has decided to stay on as the Panthers' GM, writes Steve Gorten. Martin's first order of business will be to hire a head coach to replace himself.
- Radim Vrbata wants to remain a Coyote and is hoping to sign a contract extension with the club.
- In Tampa, Vincent Lecavalier's surgery was deemed a success.
- Paul Hunter of the Toronto Star tries to help Brian Burke with some decision-making. (Writer's note: Burke is a stand-up guy, he is not going to go to Vancouver and take the job his best friend just lost.)
- Francesco Aquilini held one of the more awkward press conferences on Tuesday, writes Jason Botchford. Dave Nonis needed to be more assertive during his tenure as GM, opines Tony Gallagher. Meanwhile, Ed Willes of the Vancouver Province wonders what's next for the Canucks?
For Illegal Curve, I'm Richard Pollock.