Here are the morning papers for the teams that did not make the playoffs:
- The Carolina Hurricanes lost a lot of money this season, writes Luke Decock.
- Sabres prospect Chris Butler is extremely excited to have signed his first professional contract and wants to make the team's starting defense corps next fall.
- Rich Hammond of the L.A. Daily News examines Michal Handzus' first season in L.A.
- Rick Nash is going to undergo throat surgery this week, writes Aaron Portzline.
- There was a reason Kevin Lowe was not overly concerned about other teams raiding his young talent, writes Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal.
- The Coyotes have signed Michigan forward Chad Kolarik to a pro contract.
- Toronto fans should hope for the Stars to sweep the Ducks, writes Damien Cox.
- This past season may have been a nightmare in Vancouver, but the future already looks brighter with the big signing of Swedish youngster Fabian Brunnstrom.
For Illegal Curve, I'm Richard Pollock.
Email any thoughts, ideas or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org