Here are the morning papers for the Western Conference non-playoff teams:
- The Kings received the second overall pick in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft at last night's NHL Draft Lottery.
- The Blues are selecting fourth in the upcoming draft and that is a position where a defenseman may be the best player available, writes Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Here is the Blues' report card for 2007/08.
- The Coyotes were hoping to make the playoffs, but the team remains optimistic about what the future holds.
- In Vancouver, Canucks GM Dave Nonis wants to add scoring to the Canucks fold and said that his team may look quite different next season. A couple of Canucks forwards were quick to defend coach Alain Vigneault.
- It looks like David Vyborny has left the Nationwide Arena for the last time as a member of the Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets may have the most generous fan.
- The Hawks have let go a long time team employee, writes Chris Kuc.
**There were no Oilers articles this morning**
Here are the morning papers for the Eastern Conference non-playoff teams:
- Things are looking up for the Lightning organization after they pulled the number one spot in this summer's Entry Draft and will most likely take Steven Stamkos. Erik Erlendsson talks about what the needs are for the Lightning heading into next season.
- Apparently Rick DiPietro's surgery went well and the netminder will be ready to go at training camp in the fall.
- The Thrashers will select third at this summer's NHL Entry Draft, which is a good spot for the team because they desperately need a franchise defenseman, writes Craig Custance.
- Questions are already surrounding Ryan Miller about his future in Buffalo. Sabres forward Thomas Vanek is going to suit up for his native Austria at the World Championships.
- Jim Rutherford is going to make sure he takes his time before making a decision on Peter Laviolette's future.
- Jacques Martin may be ready to give up one of his two titles as coach/GM of the Panthers, writes Steve Gorten. (Writer's note: Give up the GM title Jacques)
- Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star has an interesting take on Paul Maurice.
For Illegal Curve, I'm Richard Pollock.
Email any thoughts, ideas or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org